Wednesday, April 13, 2011

To the Beach...And Beyond!

We broke up our week of Disney with a trip to the beach...unfortunately we chose the coldest day to go! It was really pretty chilly, but that didn't stop Ty from running right out into the ocean--jacket and all!  The kid is such a water baby!  He was shivering basically the whole time we were there, but he was also smiling.  Whatever, dude.

McKay and I were content to sit in the sand and build castles together.  He even tried a sample of the dirt.  Yum!

After we spent the morning at the beach, we went back to our hotel for a looong nap.  We had to gear up for this:

Dinner at ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney!  Since our ESPN Zone here in Denver closed a couple of years ago, the one at Disney is more of a novelty, especially for a certain unnamed 30-year-old member of our family. :)
And just in case the boys didn't get enough race cars at Autopia, we let them drive the virtual kind at the arcade.

Look at that laser-beam concentration!  And he claims he isn't a gamer! :)

It really was such a fun week.  We were able to meet up with an old friend of mine at Disneyland.  We did a semester at Nauvoo together when I was 19 years old, and then ended up teaching at the same elementary school three years later.  My fifth grade class was "reading buddies" with her first grade class, so we got to spend time together every Friday afternoon.  Ah, good times.  The last time I saw her was almost four years ago, so it was really fun to meet each other's kids for the first time and catch up!
On the weekend, we were able to spend time with my great aunt and uncle in San Pedro.  They are about 70 years old, but you wouldn't know it!  They are super fun and totally spoiled us while we stayed with them.  We loved it!
On Monday morning while we were staying with them, I was able to go for one of the most enjoyable runs of my life.  They live very near the ocean, but it's not a sandy beach area.  There are cliffs that drop off a couple hundred feet, and rocks and ocean below.  At the top of the cliffs is a dirt trail.  I was able to run a few miles on that trail, with the sun shining bright overhead, daisies growing on either side of me, geckos darting around, pelicans, yes PELICANS flying overhead, and the salty sea breeze blowing.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been if Adam was with me.   It was sublime!  If I could run that trail every day, I would give up the treadmill for good!
Although it was a fantastic week, we had about a 12-hour stretch that was R-O-U-G-H.  I want to record what happened just so I can remember it later, because even the best vacations can't be totally perfect, right?  On Saturday night I was getting into my makeup bag to get some stuff to get ready for bed, and I sliced open my finger on my uncapped razor.  It hurt instantly, and I ran to the sink to wash it out.  Adam got me a bandaid, and I figured that was that.  A few minutes later, though, the blood had seeped through the bandaid.  So my Aunt Gaye wrapped my finger in gauze and taped it.  That only lasted for a couple of minutes before the blood had seeped through that, too.  I kept sticking bandaid after bandaid on top of each other over the gauze to stop the bleeding, but I just couldn't get it to stop!  By this time, it was almost midnight, so Adam called Kaiser's 24-hour help line to get advice on what to do.  The nurse said that I needed to apply very hard pressure on the cut, and that if it didn't stop bleeding in 10 minutes, I needed to go to the ER to get stitches.  I didn't think that a shaver could have cut me so deeply that I would really need stitches, and I certainly didn't want to find/wait in some ER in California all night, so I said a quick prayer and pressed the living daylights out of my finger!  Sure enough, a few minutes later the bleeding finally stopped!  Adam and I were both relieved, to say the least!
The next morning we were preparing to go to church with my friend, Emily in Santa Monica, and were literally minutes from leaving, when it was discovered that McKay was plunging the bathroom toilet. :-/  He had totally soaked the only tie and church shirt that we had packed him.  So Adam pulled out my hair dryer and went to work!  We knew that this delay was going to make us late, but then as we were driving down the freeway, we heard the sound that no parent wants to hear on the way to church (or really anytime, for that matter).  McKay was puking in the back seat.  He had just eaten breakfast, it was a bumpy car ride, and he just got carsick.  So Ty and I ended up just going to Sacrament Meeting while Adam cleaned up McKay and hung out in the car.  We had planned on driving up to see the LA Temple, and we decided we still would.  So, yes, McKay is a bit underdressed in these pictures!

When we got back, Gaye and Larry were out, and we couldn't find the key they gave us (we found it on the floor of the car later), so we ended up hanging out at a park for another hour or so until they returned home.  It wasn't our best day ever, but I guess it could have been worse!
Well, that about sums it all up!  There were a few bad moments, but for the most part, we LOVED it, and I am already planning when we can go again!


Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

(Is it wierd to comment twice in a row, if the comments are along the same line?...)

We seriously had SO much fun seeing you guys! Please know that you always have a place to stay when you are down here:)

I am so sorry about your finger -- that's so scary! I had no idea the next day; you hid it so well.

Meggin said...

There were just a couple of bandaids on it the next morning, so you wouldn't have noticed anything amiss-especially wrangling two kids during sacrament meeting! :)

MamaT said...

Jealous! We miss that part of California, the beach, the weather, and of course DISNEYLAND (at least I do, not sure about Kevin). Looks like a totally fun trip! Now that you are back, would you like to get our kids together?