Tuesday, May 4, 2010

We're Back!!

Two extra days and one speeding ticket later (more on that to come), we are home from our trip to Utah. It certainly had its ups and downs, but it was overall a very fun vacation. Here is the photo synopsis of what we did:

We drove. A lot. When you take a road trip with four children aged two and under, what is supposed to take eight hours winds up taking ten and a half. But, they were really very good. That's not to say we didn't have a moment when three of the four of them were screaming, but really, they did very well.
(Ty and Isaac are watching a DVD, not staring at the back of the seat!)

We got to watch Uncle Zach play tennis

And Uncle Matt play in a 3 on 3 street ball tournament

We slept when we could (but not enough!)

Most of all we played...

And played, and got spoiled by parents/grandparents who we haven't seen in a while

We were planning on coming home on Saturday, but with parts of both I-70 and I-80 closed due to inclement weather and accidents, it became impossible. The good news was that we were able to see the Marchant grandparents and cousins twice, but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures either time. :( I also got to run half of the route of the Utah Valley Half Marathon with my mom. It was incredibly motivating for me and made me super antsy for race day! And best of all, I was able to be there when my brother, Zach received his patriarchal blessing on Sunday.
And now for the speeding ticket story. The drive home was going amazingly well, the kids all slept at least two hours, and we were loving our lives! I was driving, and to be honest, I really wasn't paying attention to my speed (which happened to be 80 mph in a 65 zone). Sure enough, a copper pulled out behind me and we saw flashing lights. I have never been pulled over for speeding before! My friend, Heather said, "What do you want me to do? Should I pinch one of the babies?" After about a second's hesitation, I responded, "Yeah." So she did. But unfortunately, the baby only cried for about 5 seconds and was totally fine by the time the officer arrived at the window. Dang it. We gave him our sob story that we had been in the car with four babies since 7:30 that morning and I was paying more attention to the kids than the road. He still gave me a ticket. Double dang it. I have to say, though, that I felt pretty proud of myself for not falling apart and bawling like a baby. I was pretty shaken up, however. I was stressing out BIG TIME about calling Adam and telling him. I was worried about how he might react. Then I said, "Adam hasn't ever really gotten mad at me, though," and Heather responded with, "Well, you've never gotten a speeding ticket before!" Ha, ha! I really did appreciate her keeping the situation light. Luckily, Adam was as kind and loving as ever. I am one lucky girl to have him for my husband!


A little Birdie... said...

So that picture of McKay in the laundry basket with the balls is SO stinkin cute! Seriously glad we took this trip, ticket or no ticket :)

Mari said...

I've always told myself that if I got pulled over I would need to find a way to make the baby cry. So funny that you tried to do just that, lol. I'm sorry that you got the ticket though :(

Kim said...

haha, I love it! I am so glad you got to go over...jealous...but glad! :) That stinks about the ticket, I am always stressed about getting pulled over because I haven't yet! Blah, we need to get together, maybe when Jeff is back we should all go out to dinner.