Tuesday, March 20, 2012

He Reads!!!

I was somewhat shocked on Sunday morning as we were sitting in Sacrament Meeting to hear Ty at my side reading the scripture off the front of the program.  "He can do that?!"  I thought to myself.  And though he needed a little help with some of the bigger words (inasmuch, verily), I was pretty darn impressed with his ability!  Ty has known the entire alphabet and the letter sounds since he was 2 1/2 years old.  More recently, I have worked with him a bit on putting the letters together to create words.  We usually do this in pudding on wax paper, with me writing out simple 3- and 4-letter words and him sounding them out.  Somehow, though, I didn't quite expect him to be reading the Sacrament program so soon!
His scripture reading performance prompted a trip to the library yesterday, where we checked out a few beginning reader books for him to try out.  He couldn't wait to get started when we got home!  

The two of us sat together on the couch and trudged through his first ever "read-it-by-myself" book.  He was absolutely giddy when he finished each page and realized he understood what it said.  And though it admittedly took him a full 15 minutes to complete the book, he did it!  He was beyond thrilled and immediately wanted to call his daddy at work to let him know what he had just accomplished!

I have to admit, my mommy heart was pretty proud, too.  My four-year-old is a reader!  I have to think that it will be a major confidence boost for him to be able to start kindergarten next fall (or summer, really) already able to read and write a little.
And heaven forbid that I take pictures of Ty and not McKay, too!  ("Take a picture of me reading my book, Mommy!")  And no, he may not be able to read yet, but this little guy can sure memorize and recite books with the best of them!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I love this! Way to go, Ty!! (And way to go, McKay, for loving books, too!)

Nichols Family said...

That is awesome! And very note worthy. Way to go Ty!

Unknown said...

Very cool! Some kids really seem to "get it."