Sunday, November 3, 2013

Backtracking a Bit

I was reading back over this year's blog entries this evening, and I have to admit that I felt sad about how much I have failed to record.  I'm totally chalking it up to being a new bishop's wife, having a busy young family, and trying to help my awesome brother prepare for his mission.  But, believe it or not, it has been NINE MONTHS now since Adam has been called, and I feel like I have figured out our new "normal", and am pretty well adjusted to this stage of life.  
That being said, though I am nearly five months overdue, I wanted to blog about the half marathon I ran last June.  It was kind of a big deal for me, not because it was a new experience or anything, but because I finally achieved my sub-2-hour goal that I have been chasing since 2010.  
In 2010, I finished in 2:00:42, just 43 seconds slower than my goal.  I was ok with it, especially since it was my first time, but I knew I was going to run it again.  So I did, in 2011.  That year was a bit of a disaster though.  After having a major car break-down on the way to Utah the day before the race, not getting into town until super late, not eating the right foods and only getting a couple hours of sleep before running, it wasn't any real surprise that I couldn't perform at my best.  I ran a 2:08:15.  And though that was understandable considering the circumstances, it was way disappointing.  Last year, 2012, I had a baby the day of the race!  So I had to take a bye-year.  
So this year I really felt like was the time!  My strategy was a bit different this year:  take off super fast through the first half of the race (down Provo Canyon), and give myself a comfortable cushion to take the second half of the race slower.   I ran the first 7 miles down the canyon in about 53 minutes--easily the fastest 7 miles I have ever run!  Then I slowed up and took the flat 6-mile stretch down University Avenue at a nice leisurely pace.  It was a great strategy!  I ran my best half marathon time ever!

My very favorite part of running in races is seeing my beautiful family at the finish line cheering me on.  It is so symbolic to me--how as a family we are each other's biggest cheerleaders in life, and it never ceases to make me emotional.  

And here's the proof that I finally accomplished my goal!  (My official time was 1:57:35, I was a little slow stopping my watch.)

My mommy and me!  Another one of my favorite things about running this race is that my mom has participated with me every year!

Just a week before Baby Girl's first birthday!


This year was the inaugural year for the Kids' 1K race after the marathon.  My boys were both so, so excited to be able to run in their first road race!  And it was pretty special to be able to have that experience with both of them!

Another awesome thing about racing:  all the goodies at the end!  My boys were totally loving the Jamba Juices!

The boys with their running partners:  Tooge ran with Ty and Dad ran with McKay.

Now that I have hit that goal I am considering what to do next.  Run it again and try for an even better time?  Try a FULL marathon for my thirtieth birthday next year?  Maybe give a triathlon a try?  The jury is still out on that one!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I am glad you are backtracking to record this stuff! You are amazing!! Way to go on your third half-marathon, and on your great time!